A Life Insurance plan provides financial safety in times of crisis. It provides great relief to the family when the sole breadwinner passes away due to an unfortunate loss of life.
However, it is not uncommon for insurance companies to reject a false life insurance claim. An insurance claim may get repudiated or rejected due to various reasons, knowing them would help in avoiding the rejection of a claim.
Let us go through the reasons why life insurance claims could get rejected:
1. False Information: This is the most common thing that happens when a policy is being issued. Some individuals tend to hide or conceal their personal details in an attempt to reduce their premium amount. A term insurance is offered basis your age, medical history, lifestyle choices, level of income, and line of work. People risk having their insurance application rejected if they withhold any of the above information or if it is incorrectly disclosed. Some people even quote an inflated income to get a higher sum of assured benefits. To prevent your family from suffering unnecessarily, it is crucial to fill out the application form honestly and promptly.
2. Undisclosed medical history: This is another major reason why an insurance claim is rejected. Not disclosing pre-existing health conditions at the time of purchase of an insurance plan may lead to a claim rejection in the future. In order to avoid this issue during the claim filing process, all medical disclosures should be made. Accurate reports concerning the most recent medical records and any previously existing medical conditions must be correctly and honestly disclosed in the application form.
3. Unentitled nominee: A nominee is a person who is entitled to the benefit in the event that the insured person passes away. The processing of the claim may get delayed if the policyholder did not have a nomination on file. An insurance company requests documents to show the line of succession in the absence of a nomination. Claims will still be fulfilled provided the family members submit the required paperwork.
4. Not disclosing information about the previous policies held: As per the guidelines, not disclosing information, or giving incorrect information about the policies that an applicant is currently holding or has previously held may lead to rejection of death claim. The insurance company may totally reject a claim if the policy was rejected by another Insurer or issued with additional terms. Disclosing the previous or current policies is essential while buying an insurance plan. Non-disclosure or hiding of material facts may lead to rejection of the contract and claims by the Insurance Company.
5. Inaccurate disclosure by Non-Resident Indians: In case of NRI policyholders, the underwriter needs to know the name of the nation where the life insured is residing in order to make a decision about the life coverage. There are some nations where insurance coverage is not offered in accordance with our agreement with reinsurers. This could be denied at the claims stage if it is not reported at the onboarding stage.
Hence, insurance claim rejection is more painful than the crisis itself. In order to ensure that it is submitted correctly, sufficient care must be taken. Please verify the provided information thoroughly.
Most read Articles
Yes, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) can buy life insurance policies in India. According to FEMA (Foreign Exchange Management Act), NRIs and PIOs (Persons of Indian Origin) can purchase life insurance policies in India, given they fulfil certain conditions.
Knowing the difference between Term Insurance vs. Life Insurance can boost your financial protection
Life insurance is synonymous with protection, as it offers financial security in many ways. There are two types of life insurance plans: Term insurance and traditional life insurance policies, which include Pension plan, Child plan, Whole Life plan, Money Back plan, and Endowment Plan.
Imagine a low-risk investment that has the potential to grow your savings, create wealth, help you achieve long term goals, and secure you financially for decades!